A Quick Guide to Install Bicycle Folding Tires
A folding bike tire is a special type of the clincher tire wherein the wire bead is substituted by a roll of Kevlar filament. The Kevlar’s flexibility gives the folding tire its name. This guide will tell you what makes folding tires different, the advantages of folding tires, the steps for installation, and how to fold the tire.
Also Read: Best single speed bike wheels
Folding vs Non-Folding Tires
When shopping for new tires, you will encounter two different types. These are the folding tires and wire bead tires. What makes the both of them different and which one is more suitable for you? Here are some answers to that question:
- Regular, non-folding tires have steel wires as the bead, while foldable tires use flexible synthetic fibers like Kevlar.
- The flexible folding bike tire can easily be folded into a compact bundle, unlike the rigid wire bead of a regular tire.
- Foldable bike tires are easier to store that regular tires.
- Bicycle folding tires are a bit more expensive than the non-folding tires.
- Folding tires feature soft rubber compound for the tread of the tire, while non-folding tires are rarely manufactured with softer rubbers.
- Tires with Kevlar bead are manufactured with a higher thread per inch (TPI). Regular bike tires are not commonly available with great TPIs. A higher TPI means a more flexible ride quality.
- Tires with Kevlar beads are easier to install than the wire bead tires.
Also Read: How to Choose The Best Tire Tread
Advantages of Folding Tires:
Also Read: Choose the right tire pressure for bike
How to Install a Kevlar Bead Folding Tire?
After purchasing your folding tires, installing it yourself is not so difficult. Here is a step-by-step guide on what to do to install:
How to Fold a Folding Bike Tire?
Place your hands on the tire at 10 and 2 o-clock and bring your hands together to form an uneven sized number 8. Grasp the larger loop of figure eight, twist and push it toward the mid part of the number 8.
You should now have three loops. Tie the loops together with an elastic band or a strap to have a neatly folded tire.
Folded tires are a wonderful innovation that has definitely made our biking experience better. We can expect more innovations like this to come in the future and we can look forward to a more exciting bike ride.